2/23/2005

I was in a rush to leave for work today (freelance at the company that laid me off, not, like, a real job) so I grabbed a random shirt from my drawer. After I put it on I noticed it smelled a bit musty from being in the drawer so long, even though it was clean. Rather than change shirts, I spritzed myself with some old cologne I had. “Woodland Essence,” it was called. A strange brand from Bath and Body Works, a gift courtesy of my sister. I rather liked it.

When I arrived at work I passed through the copywriter’s office to get to my computer. 30 seconds later the copywriter yelled out, “Jon, have you been chopping wood or something?”

I explained it was a new fragrance.

Several minutes later, the art director arrived. The first thing he said to me was, “Hello… are you using a new aftershave?”

I explained it was a new fragrance. He told me it was OK, but I might have put it on a little heavy.

We commenced work. About an hour later, the owner came in to talk to us. She said, “Bill, could you and Jon… um… what’s that smell?”

I explained it was a new fragrance. She agreed that it was a little heavy.

At lunch time I ran around in the parking lot without my jacket. You know, to air myself out.

That’s it, no punchline, no point to the story. I just sprayed myself with a little too much “Woodland Essence,” today.

No comments: