8/27/2005

Lazy
Lazy
Lazy
Jon.
Doesn’t feel like writing,
when nothing special’s going on.

Not that lack of any life-changing events has kept me from writing before. I guess I’m just being lethargic. I apologize to those who have come here looking for their regular dose of chuckles lately, I’ve been naughty. I also apologize to my legion of regular readers (all four of whom I could afford to buy dinner for, if that makes it better).

Anyway, I was feeling the home improvement vibe a few weeks ago. Though, having finished staining the deck, the thought of more manual labor repulsed me to the point of physical pain. So, in the end, I just moved a bunch of posters on my wall. This fulfilled my urges enough so that I didn’t go out and buy potpourri or votive candles or other things that now remind me of prison for some reason.

One of the posters I finally managed to put up, though not at home, was the “Tomorrowland” poster, direct from Disney World. Ultimately, for complete lack of wall space in my room, I am now displaying this poster in my cubicle at work.

I found myself admiring it on my lunch break one day. It's a very skilled rendition of a theoretical scene in Tomorrowland. Actual landmarks like Space Mountain are brightly colored and surrounded by flying cars and patrons wearing jet packs and space suits circa 2000 via the year 1950. “The tomorrow that never was!”

Sometimes I wonder what people think of our technological progress of the last fifty years. We have no flying cars. We have not found better sources of fuel. We have not colonized the moon.

Instead, we have invented cars that consume fuel less efficiently, our identities can now be stolen via computer, and congress is busying itself banning virtual violence. Though it would be interesting, "Tomorrowland," would have been very different. Admission would be even more expensive, your wallet would be stolen, and every ride would just be a slow drive down an empty dark tunnel.

I’m pretty sure that the only thing we’ve got that looks like their vision of the future is Teletubbies. The bright colors and odd outfits would be right at home in a land that was supposed to have artificially intelligent trash cans.

But I digress. I love the poster, it is a work of art and adds well to the technologically-advanced yet subtly-wacky motif of my cube.

On the downside, when I first put the poster up, it reminded me of my last job. As I’ve mentioned a while ago, Disney World was my first paid vacation from that job. After I returned, I was let go, due to financial hardships of the company.

It was pretty crazy, it was like a reverse SuperBowl:
“Jonathan! You’ve just gone to Disney World! What are you going to do now?”
“I’m going to be laid-off!”

But as I looked at the poster, thinking about my old job, I remembered that it was all for the better. I wasn’t very good at it, and didn’t seem to be getting any better, and I was constantly stressing about that. Being let go for financial reasons was the non-defeat, non-surrender way out, and I’m fortunate that it happened that way.

Plus, that eventually led to my current job, which I really like, and where I just put up this snazzy poster.

No comments: