1/10/2007

At 12:00 AM on January 1st, people of all shapes and sizes across the world stood up and proclaimed, “This year, I will go to the gym more often.”

At 6:00 PM on January 3rd, there was not a single treadmill available at Work Out World.

I would be a hypocrite if I were mad about that. It had been my New Year’s resolution as well. But, I had been making a substantial effort to attend the gym more often even before the ball dropped, so in a way I felt cheated.

Having long since joined and attended the gym, but bitching and moaning all the way, did I deserve the right to a treadmill more than someone who had no delusions about fitness before last Monday? No, certainly not. I didn’t have any more rights than anyone else there, new member or regular.

Of course, I wouldn’t call myself a regular. Even though I’ve been able to maintain my target attendance rate for a few weeks now, calling me a regular was like calling Paris Hilton a celebrity. Oh sure, she’s at the parties, but what does she really do?

Luckily, the problem wasn’t as evident when I went Saturday. But that raises another interesting question. If it was 60 degrees and sunny out, why was I looking to use a treadmill? I think it’s funny that I hadn’t even considered that question until I was in the car, and even then I dismissed it immediately. Jog, like, outside? Ha! Right. There are, like, bears outside.

Ultimately, I could argue that I needed to go to the gym anyway to use the weightlifting machines. I can’t picture any real world activity that would emulate what those machines do for me. Maybe if I was trapped under a log, which I had to lift 10 times in a row to escape. Of if I had to pull myself onto a moving train in sets of 3. Perhaps if I wanted to clap for my favorite band on stage, but there were two 8-year-olds clinging to each arm.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Sorry, it looks like the upgrade to the new blogger wiped out old comments. I'll see what I can do to get them back.

Anonymous said...

Jon, you dn't NEED a tredmill at the gym. the gym is for weights.
you have miles upon miles to walk on your own (esp up there in NH where all there is to do is walk)

Walk around NH!!!!...
walk for 30 mins and then turn around and walk back home. there's your treadmill.

go to the gym for weights, and maybe a cardio machine other than a treadmill. or buy a fricken bike.
but walking is better. if you feel the need, jog.

:)