12/30/2004

Florida Day 3: Disney/MGM Studios (12/7/04)

Now this is more like it! A movie theme park. That’s my kind place. I also really dug the 1950’s Hollywood Boulevard motif, I guess I’m really into retro lately.

I’m actually getting tired of writing. It could be caused by any number of things, which I’ll get into later. But for now I’m just going to run through some of the highlights of the visit.

Muppets 3D – You gotta love the Muppets. You gotta love 3D. You gotta love this show. The revolutionary 3D technology was like nothing you’ve seen before (unless you’ve seen other 3D shows at the other parks before this, I guess). Helped out by “real” Muppets at the side and back of the stage.

The Great Movie Ride – Tour through surprisingly well rendered sets from your favorite movies. My personal favorite was, of course, the set of Alien. The creepy gothic space ship halls were awesome, even if I could barely see the alien in all that fog and steam.

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre – Though not actually an “attraction,” it was my favorite place. Picture a restaurant where all the tables are shaped like 1950’s cars, and they’re all facing a big screen that plays cartoons and ultra cheesy sci-fi movie trailers. The waitress comes around, sometimes on roller skates, to deliver your drinks which each have a light in them that causes them to glow. How cool is that!

Fantasmic makes for a spectacular nighttime show. Part stage show, part parade, part fireworks, it’s a joy for all the senses. And let me tell you, it was packed. When you have a massive outdoor arena and by the time you get to the show, 20 minutes before it starts, and there’s only standing room left, then you can imagine how packed it was. It was worthwhile though.

HARBOR ATTACK! – By just missing the previous showing and being first in line for the next performance, my sister and I were chosen, along with two other hapless guests, to participate in the show. We were ushered into a side room and given rain slickers, pants, and heavy boots to wear. This was the first sign of trouble. We were brought out on stage where we were the performers in the Harbor Attack Special Effects Show. Basically they me at the head of a PT boat being hit by “torpedoes” which splashed water everywhere. Jen got it worse in the “engineering room” where two huge dumpster-sized buckets of water were shot in the window at her. A good time was had by all.

No comments: