4/17/2006

Wow, this blog is stagnant, does this guy ever update?

Oh wait, shit. This is my blog! Sorry.

I done moved. Again. While I don’t move as often as some people… cough cough greg cough… I feel like I haven’t settled anywhere in quite a while. Going home was supposed to be temporary. Then, all of the sudden, I woke up on the far side of two years and I was still living with my parents. I had become settled, sitting comfortably in a rut.

I was under the impression that I was just short of the financial means to get a place of my own, and I was. But who knows what I could have found if I had truly committed myself to searching. I might have discovered a tiny studio apartment to fit my needs; one that was a) clean, b) bigger than a box of Twinkies, and c) around $500 per month. Yea right! And my landlord would have been a majestic unicorn who grants wishes to anyone who can catch three woodland faries in a magical jar.

It wasn’t until I met someone at work who was also on the apartment hunt and thinking maybe a roommate would soften the blow of rent and utilities.

And long story short, here I am. Let me tell you, it feels good.

We saw our share of crappy apartments. We were given tours of cramped, dirty places whose landlords started the tour with phrases like, “It does need some work,” and, “I really don’t know how the skunk got in here.”

Then we found an excellent place. But we applied too late and didn’t get it, so forget that place. But then we found a better place, and we got that one. Ka-ching!

It’s a nice three-story townhouse in a quiet (read “mostly old”) community.

Some minor maintenance was required, but most of it was addressed before we moved in. The lingering problems involved certain windows not totally working (you know, opening and closing, none of that advanced window shit), and a smattering of plumbing problems (a slightly drippy sink and a mini dishwasher that doesn’t actually drain water (alright if you want to wash the dishes and the floor at the same time, but…)). The windows have been fixed, and the plumber, much like Jesus, will be coming back at some undetermined time in the future. I can’t complain though, we have all the amenities we need and then some.

No comments: