6/29/2005

There’s something about a big storm that brings out the child-like wonder in me. I think it’s that way for a lot of people.

In that respect, it’s tough being in an office and trying not to act excited when the sky goes black, thunder and lightning start to roll, and the rain comes down in buckets. I try to maintain a certain level of professionalism, when all I want to do is point out the window and yell, “Look at that! IT’S SO COOOOOOOL!”

So when the rain rolls in, we make comments about the downpour; casual remarks about putting up the windows in our cars and driving home later. I try to keep my voice at a normal volume and regard the biblical-level storm with a seemingly passing interest. I also try not to break out too many rain-related jokes, of which I seem to have a large stock. I suppose when I think of a joke about rain, I’m forced to hold it in until a rainy day; which is why I have to try so hard not to let them all out at once… like a downpour.

Today I managed to keep myself composed. If I can manage not to sound like a fool, not to jump up and down, and not to shout with excitment at each passing storm, I might be able to convince myself, and everyone else, that I'm more mature.

But that storm today was sooooo coooool!

No comments: