11/11/2003

I've managed to thwart another of my van's attempts to assassinate me.

I've said before that I know next to nothing about auto mechanics, so what little I do know is from first hand experience and, usually, catastrophic failures. Yesterday, for example, I learned that if the brakes on the van go out and you press the pedal hard enough, the emergency brakes will kick in. This is not written in the manual. I can add this tidbit to the short list of things I know about my van; like reasons the engine won't start and signs that the fucking wheel is about to fall off.

Fortunately, the brake had been acting "spongy" that afternoon and I had the common sense to be driving slowly and trying to get back to my house via side roads. Of course, after I finally managed to park in my driveway, I decided that I'd have to have the bitch towed to the garage.

I'm a little too tired to go into details right now, but when we were reunited again it was very awkward. There was a long silence as I strugled to voice my concerns about the way it's been behaving. The van just stared at me. It might have been my imagination, but I could swear I saw resentment in those headlights; like it had gone to a lot of trouble, and yet I was still alive.

I fear what might happen next. First the wheel, now the brakes. If the van gets more daring I believe the next "accident," will be something more severe. I must keep a close eye on it.

No comments: