8/01/2004

I’ll try not to give anything away, but if you have any intention of seeing “The Village,” please do not read this post until after you’ve seen it.

I think that maybe the reason I loved the first three M. Night Shyamalan movies is the exact same reason that I didn’t love the fourth one. The reason; he and I think alike.

I don’t know how else I could explain that I could predict what was going to happen with an eerie accuracy. Even the signature Shyamalan twist was no mystery to me this time around. With very little indication of what was going to happen, I just knew. When I thought about it afterwards, it just seemed to me that I knew because that’s what I would have done, given the basic plot structure, and knowing that there had to be some kind of shocker.

Maybe if some of you have seen the film, let me know if you thought it was too predictable.

Chris said it best when he said that Shyamalan needs to make a straightforward movie, something where everyone isn’t expecting his usual shocking twist. I tend to agree, although I think his original screenplays are some of the best in Hollywood, I’d like to see him apply his skills to an adaptation or a remake.

Though it was a bit of a disappointment, this did not sink the movie alone.

Another problem was the acting. We had a collection of A-List actors giving C-List performances. All of Shyamalan’s previous films have been A-List actors giving A-List performances, I don’t understand what changed here. I guess everyone was trying too hard to emulate the old fashioned dialogue and just sounding ridiculous in the process.

And the final culprit? The theater. The movie theater seriously hampered the enjoyment of my film. The temperature was ice cold, making me long for the warm cloaks and crackling fire places on screen. The sound too was off kilter. The commercials were so loud they nearly shattered my glasses, but the dialogue in the film was barely audible. Things like these can make even a good movie a bad experience.

No comments: