8/22/2004

Letters From Doom (2)
July 23 2140

Dear Mom and Dad,

Strange things have been happening in Mars lately.

For starters, I think the number of people going completely insane is higher than it should be. I’m no expert on the subject, but roughly one out of every four employees in Mars Colony 2 has gone loony within the last week. I really don’t like those odds. I checked four of my friends, and what do you know, one of them was freaking crazy!

This has led to a severe shortage of proper… crazy people supplies. Makeshift straightjackets have been constructed from sweaters and an industrial stapler. Crazy people have had to bunk up three or four to a cell. I’m even sharing my bunk with some crazy guy who rants about demons and hellfire. They just came in on Monday, strapped him into the top bunk, and told me to watch his bedpan.

With the exception of “Crazy” Bill Johnson, who’s just plain crazy, all the new crazy people seem to have the same delusions as my new roommate. They go on and on about armies of demons and the living dead.There have also been a lot of strange sounds and sightings, especially on the lower levels of Delta Labs. The odd scientist or janitor will come back with stories of growling in the dark, or large creatures creeping through the shadows.

Sounds to me like it’s time for a Martian varmint hunt! I mean, you should see the rats we get up here.

Anyway, aside from the strange noises, monster sightings and, you know, crazy people, things are pretty normal, I guess. I’ve got to change my bunkmate’s bed pan, then I’m on duty until 3am, so good night and have a good week.

-Jon

No comments: