4/08/2005

After a year and a half of parking in the same spot, yesterday I got a ticket.

I was angry about it, but it was early and my brain wasn’t on, so I used “Fuck” in the wrong context. “What’s up with this piece of fuck?”

Who gives you a ticket outside your own house? I mean, it’s not like I living in Boston, where parking is a strictly regulated premium. I live on the north end of Manchester (the biggest ant in a tiny little ant hill), pretty much in a picture perfect suburban setting. I don’t even know where the nearest fire hydrant is in my neighborhood. As long as you’re not blocking someone’s driveway, usually you’re fine.

But, apparently that’s not the case, as I was fined $15 for parking on the even side of the street on an odd numbered night. For those of you who don’t live in a state that’s insane, the winter parking ban states that no car may be parked on the street unless it is on the side of the street with the even numbered houses on even days and odd houses on odd days. This is so they can plow your neighborhood… eventually (in my case, usually 24 to 48 hours after the snow has stopped falling). This winter parking ban lasts from November 15th (OK), to May 15th (huh!? I know it’s New Hampshire, but… MAY?!)

I’ve been parking in the exact same spot for a year and a half, ever since I moved back from MA. Somehow, I went ALL winter without getting a ticket for violating this rule. Yet now, a good two weeks since there has been any snow on the ground, some rogue meter maid, no doubt drunkenly joy riding around the neighborhood, has lashed out and fined me, just for shits and giggles.

Well, I hope you’re laughing meter lady. If I ever see you again… well… I guess I owe you $15.

No comments: