4/10/2005

Yesterday was a pleasant multimedia kind of day. I saw a good movie, picked up some good music, I’m pleased overall.

First off, a special thanks to the beautiful Stephanie, who guided me by phone to Davis Square from a place that was… um… not Davis Square. Her original directions, which I had written down, were simple enough, but I, inevitably, missed the proper exit, so I was forced to use the Mapquest directions that I was carrying as backup. Where as her directions where a simple left, right, and left, the Mapquest directions formed a series of lines that, when viewed from a distance, looked like a hand giving you the finger. Somewhere around the second knuckle, I took a wrong turn. To my credit, nothing seemed to be labeled properly. Anyway, I ended up somewhere that I can only describe as, “Probably North of Boston.” It looked like a lawless town, ruled by bitter law men and brothel owners, in a time before the laws of the New America would take over.

The movie we saw was Sideways. Quite a good film. Lots of subtle humor as well as balls-out laughs. As far as the two main leads go, Paul Giamatti delivers a brilliant performance as usual and Thomas Haden Church sort of breaks out of the usual disposable performances I had associated with him, although just barely. Frankly, I would love to see him in a strictly dramatic role, just to see how that goes.

The music I picked up afterwards were Nick Drake and Jack Johnson. I had discovered Nick Drake on the Garden State soundtrack (“One of These Things First”) and was entranced by his classical mellow style. Plus, because he was big in the 60s British folk-rock era, so now I feel like a more cultured music listener. Stephanie recommended Jack Johnson, which I was surprised to discover, had a lot in common, stylistically, with Nick Drake, though it would be very easy to say that Jack Johnson was more upbeat. I dug it, and I’m liking it more and more with each listen.

I feel more grown up sophisticated today having, in one evening, seen an award winning independent film, and purchasing classy music ranging from 60’s folk-rock to modern mellow.

To offset that feeling, I paid 8 bucks for an Chinese DVD about a secret agent that kicks everyone’s ass with crazy kung fu.

HEEEEEEEEEEE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

No comments: