4/03/2005

My education came full circle on Friday.

This week I was given the task to write an article on the partnership of our company with another company and the technology behind our corresponding products. Knowing nothing about any topic mentioned when I started (well, I knew about our company, duh), I hit the books and produced a well constructed piece. It brought me right back to the days of school reports, which I hated back then, but actually enjoyed doing this time. I guess it had something to do with not having to write an outline, or present a thesis, or deal with that old moldy lady at the library.

My supervisor told me that the article was great, but she had a few very sensible changes. However, it was her first suggestion that rocked my world. She said that, although the article was good, it read too much like a college essay… I’ll let that sink in a little… The first problem with my article was that it sounded too much like a college essay!

So what the hell was I doing in college?

At that moment I wanted to gather up every essay and report I’ve ever written and bring them back to my professors, dump them on the floor, and say, “Here, you can have these back, the real world doesn’t want them.”

I wasn’t mad at anyone. I just found it funny that my style of formal writing was popular among teachers, but had no use now that I finally had a actual job to use it in.

Oh, and on another note, I’m trying to link to the recording of my performance last week. I recommend that you right click it and download it to your computer for best listening quality. Even with that though, the quality is the downstairs neighbor of Ass. It's already pretty loud, but this was the best I could do. If anyone has any suggestions that might help in cleaning it up more (techniques or inexpensive programs), then I’ll repost it.

Emerald Isle 3/23/05

Also be warned, it's a pretty big file, about 5.something Megs. If you don't have broadband it could take a few minutes to download.

One last warning. Please do not listen to this recording if you are offended by the word "Fuck." ... Oh shit, I just said "Fuck!"

No comments: